Friday, March 15, 2013

Curly hair don't care


I've been rockin' my "natural" (read: curly) hair lately. I know hair is a thing for most women (I mean we all want to look good, right?) but for ethnic girls and black women in particular, hair is a really big THING. Yes, it's an all caps situation.

I like my hair for the most part. It's thick, grows at a decent rate and can generally survive the torture I've given it with flatirons and hot combs. That said, I'm tired. It's a chore and some days it is so cumbersome I wind up being late for work or events trying to get it to look like something. I don't really have a signature look per se, but it's been generally shoulder length or longer and parted slightly off center for as long as I can remember. I also rock tight, low-buns more than I want to; a look I don't love but it only takes about 10 minutes to achieve when I've got someplace to be.


A retrospective:



Currently:

January 2013


February 2013

March 2013

Today #curlyhairprobs

Curly Nikki has been my go-to for hair tutorials and learning about the natural hair community. I've discovered in a short amount of time that it truly is a lifestyle for many women. They document "hair journeys" and "big chops" and "transitioning" - lots of lingo out there to learn. I've been buying products geared towards curly hair (something I hadn't really done before) and it truly is trial and error. Some days I think it looks great! Other days, like today, not so much. #curlygirlprobs

At the risk of boring you to death I'll stop now and perhaps do another post or tutorial about what I actually do to style it if you're interested. I get A LOT of questions about my hair in general, so maybe I can direct people to a couple of my blog posts about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment